Monday, November 12, 2007

Hedge Fund Manager Toy of The Week.

Predictable I know. However, I am going on a trip to Canada this week and have found a Lamborghini garage where the owner is my new best friend. He is moving to Geneva soon and I aim to have him on my Christmas list as soon as possible. Not just because he is a nice chap, but also because he owns one of every model of Lamborghini ever made and that, my friend, is an awesome reason to visit his new house every weekend until I can do the same...

I give you, as the toy of the week... the Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster... you know you want one..

It howls past 60mph in less than 3.6s and goes on to a top speed of 200mph, slightly less than the coupe due to the messed-up aerodynamics of the chop top. It doesn’t need a detailed explanation of in-gear acceleration, other than to say it could scorch the skin off your face.

The Audi-sourced V12 generates 479lb/ft of torque, it’s got pace to burn and needs replacement tyres for the 18x13 inch rear wheels €1000 a pop every 7000km. If there was ever a time when this seemed like a reasonable bill, this might be it.

Driving it

Find a clear road and light the touch paper and the rear wheels spin momentarily before the car blasts down the road with all the aggression and purpose of a serial killer on the run.

The engine note hardens to one of the best sounds in motoring, the speedo races round to illegal speeds and the scenery races past the window at a bullet-train rate. Push hard on the throttle and prepare to hang on. It’s an emotional experience driving a Lamborghini in full flight and having driven one through the tunnel on Park Lane I can tell you that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... I think I did both..

No comments: